See Contact page for project contacts!
Presentations and online training materials
During the project conferences, seminars, workshops and other events we had the opportunity to collect numerous presentations and training materials, which are also important outputs of PURE project. Presented below you can find links to the most significant of them.
- Book "Good Practices in Sludge Management" in English (with an appendix), German, Latvian, Polish and Russian languages - this publication presents technical solutions used in sludge handling and disposal processes, compares the results achievable by application of different techniques, explores relevant emerging technologies and legal limitations for the further sewage sludge use. Also available for on-line reading at gpsm.purebalticsea.eu.
- PURE Actions for Baltic Sea Region - a brochure describing the means of reduction of phosphorous load from municipal waste waters and how those were applied in PURE project. Brochure is available also in Russian language.
- Better treatment of urban wastewaters improves the state of the Baltic Sea - PURE leaflet from 2011, describing the project, its objectives and intended outputs.
- Our Common Challenge – Eutrophication - an informative brochure about what eutrophication is and how it affects the whole population of the Baltic Sea Region. Brochure is available also in Russian language.
- The load of pollutants discharged to the Baltic Sea - brochure, produced by the city of Gdansk and PURE in 2011.
- Presentations from Practical experiences on advanced municipal sewage treatment – PURE Final Conference, 16.10.2012, Gdansk, including speeches by represntatives of UBC EnvCom, John Nurminen Foundation, HELCOM, Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007-2013, EIB, demonstrations of PURE partner results and expreiences as well as the cases of wastewater treatment in Poland.
- Presentations from the Sustainable Sludge Handling Workshop, 7.9.2011, Lübeck, covering technological, political, economic, and legal aspects of sludge management, displaying real-life examples of German sludge handling practices and discussing about future prospects for innovative approaches.
- Lecture, Dr. Jörn Einfeldt 16.3.2011: Multistage biological wastewater treatment in Northern Germany at the Co-operation seminar in Tallinn "Local actors as forerunners – Concrete achievements and links to international covenants in Baltic Sea protection". Focuses on phosphorus and nitrogen removal, using the examples of WWTP Flensburg, WWTP Lübeck and WWTP Ratzeburg, the presentation gives a survey at possible implementation stricter effluent standards.
Surveying and Evaluation
In the course of PURE several surveys and evaluations had been organized targeted both internally to the project partners and externally to the wider audience. The main aim was to learn about the successes of communication tasks, as well as about thematic and organizational aspects of the held events, so that the actions would be taken where needed in order to improve the overall project’s performance.
In PURE Communication Questionnaire I project partners expressed their opinions regarding internal and external communication aims, tools and target groups. It was concluded that internal communication is clear-aimed, regular among several personnel groups and diverse tools-wise, while externally there could be more contacts among PURE partners, and important communication target groups for every partner organization are very scattered or even diverged.
PURE Communication Questionnaire II indicated that all of the partners receive enough of communication support and advice from the Lead Partner (UBC EnvCOm) and Communication coordinator (HELCOM) and are well-aware of the general communication aims of PURE. Furthermore, most of the partners would expect to have practical use of the soft project’s outcomes: PURE Book of Good Practices in Sludge Management and PURE Benchmark database.
There had been also prepared PURE Communication Questionnaire II for external stakeholders to collect the information on how familiar is the public with aims and organizations involved in PURE. The level of overall externals’ awareness was discovered to be not particularly high; however all of the respondents expressed their interest in then forthcoming project’s Final Conference, Sludge book and partially, in PURE Benchmarking.
Questionnaire III was replaced by the evaluation of the PURE project events in Lübeck, Saint-Petersburg and Gdansk . It has shown that the organizers succeeded in engaging relevant experts and stakeholders who, in turns, presented most important and interesting information on current practices of municipal wastewater treatment, as well as on prospective innovative developments in the field. Site-visits were proven to have adequately complemented the workshops content from a practical side. However, it was also noted that the separate practical aspects of each of the events could be handled in an improved way.
- 16.10.2012 Concrete Improvements in Baltic Wastewater Treatment HELCOM, UBC and JNF media release
- 8.5.2012 Sixteen Baltic Sea Pollution Hot Spots Expected to Be Remediated HELCOM press release
- 7.9.2011 Wastewater treatment needs sustainable sludge management in municipalities HELCOM press release
- 17.5.2011 HELCOM to delete several Lithuanian sewage treatment plants from the list of Baltic’s major polluter HELCOM press release
- 16.3.2011 Searching for new local actors to protect the Baltic Sea Organizers' common press release
- 21.10.2010 Riga Water Ltd improves its phosphorus removal from waste waters to HELCOM recommendation level PURE press release
- 16.2.2010 HELCOM launches a new project to promote advanced phosphorus removal HELCOM press release
Published PURE articles
- 13.9.2013 Brestvodokanal newsletter: Балтийское море в ожидании
- September 2013 Newsletter of the Baltic Impulse cluster of nine environmental projects working under Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007-2013.
- August 2013 Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007-2013 brochure "Baltic Impulse - Saving the Baltic Sea Waters. Nine stories from projects tackeling eutrophication and hazardous substances"
- Issue 3 2012 HELCOM Newsletter: News in brief - PURE project on urban reduction of eutrophication celebrated results
- October 2012 Saur Neptun Gdansk: Uczestnicy Konferencji PURE w Oczyszczalni Wschód
- September 2012 ZWiK Szczecin, KROPLA Biuletyn informacyjny: ZWiK gospodarzem warsztatów PURE
- September 2012 John Nurminen Foundation: Clean Baltic Sea News 3 / 2012: PURE project in its final stages
- 28.8.2012 ZWiK Szczecin: ZWiK gospodarzem warsztatów PURE
- 3.8.2012 Centrum Balticum, Pulloposti: Paikallishallintoja tarvitaan tehokkaaseen Itämeren suojeluun
- June 2012 John Nurminen Foundation: Clean Baltic Sea News 2 / 2012: PURE and PRESTO learn from St. Petersburg
- 5.6.2012 ZWiK Szczecin: Gdańsk i Szczecin razem w PURE. Poznajemy inne oczyszczalnie
- 30.5.2012 ZWiK Szczecin: ZWiK w PURE. Oczyszczalnie u sasiadow
- 20.4.2012 Neatkariga Rita Avize Latvijai: Notekudenu attirisanu Riga nekonsilide
- 28.4.2012 Ves.LV: Все — на борьбу с фосфором!
- February 2012 ZWiK Szczecin, KROPLA Biuletyn informacyjny
- 20.2.2012 ZWiK Szczecin: U Finów o gospodarce osadowej Szczecińska oczyszczalnia jako przykład
- January 2012 ZWiK Szczecin, KROPLA Biuletyn informacyjny: Realizacja PURE – Troska o czysty Baltyk
- 20.9.2011 John Nurminen Foundation, Clean Baltic Sea: PURE seminar in Lübeck: waste water treatment plants need tailored sludge strategies
- 14.9.2011 Zakład Wodociągów i Kanalizacji Spółka z o.o. w Szczecinie: O PURE w Lubece Pracownicy ZWiK na unijnych warsztatach
- 27.7.2011 Radio Szczecin.fm: Interview on PURE with Krzysztof Maciejewski, ZWiK Szczecin
- 30.4.2011 Järve Biopuhastuse Kliendileht: Järve Biopuhastus hoolitseb Läänemere puhtuse eest
- 30.4.2011 ГАЗЕТА ДЛЯ КЛИЕНТОВ “ЯРВЕ БИОПУХАСТУС“: “Järve Biopuhastus” заботится о чистоте Балтийского моря
- Water21 – magazine of the International Water Association, April 2011: PURE phosphorus project aims for a better Baltic Sea
- Jurmala Water 30.3.2011: PURE projekta seminars Tallina
- 16.3.2011 City of Turku: Itämeren suojeluun etsitään uusia toimijoita Suomenlahden eteläpuolelta
- 16.3.2011 Baltic Sea Portal: Seeking new local actors and good practices to protect the Baltic Sea (Helcom)
- Jurmala Water 30.12.2010: PURE projekts
- 26.10.2010 Itämeri (Suomen Ympäristökeskuksen Uutiskirje 3/2010): Riian vesilaitos tehostaa fosforinpoistoaan HELCOMin suositustasolle
- 22.10.2010 Vestochka - Весточка.LV: Эвтрофикация губит Балтийское море
- 26.8.2010 ZWiK Szczecin: Audyt oczyszczalni ZWiK uczestniczy w PURE
- 22.3.2010 Entsorgungsbetriebe Lübeck
- 16.2.2010 ENDS Europe: Baltic eutrophication initiative targets phosphorus
- 18.2.2010 Бизнес & Балтия (Business & the Baltics): Ригу очистят от фосфора
- 18.2.2010 Delfi: Финны очистят Ригу и Юрмалу от фосфора
- 18.2.2010 Schattenblick: PURE-Projekt - Weniger Phosphateinleitungen in die Ostsee (DNR EU)
PURE Communication toolkit May 2011